Pages

Monday 20 August 2012

Portal

Yes, I realise that everyone finished this game like a month after it came out. But I didn't own it until fairly recently.




So, puzzles eh?

Yes, it's a puzzler (yay!) which uses portals and blocks to get you through the levels. Pretty much everyone knows this by now, right?

The game mechanics are simple, but in a good way. Because you only really have to move, jump, crouch and place portals you get much more engrossed in the game than if there were many more controls.

But it's short!

Yes, it has only got 19 levels. But believe me, this is enough! There were several points in the game where I just wanted to quit, but I didn't and just had a rest of a few days.

Some levels trick you into thinking they're easier than they actually are and the final 4 levels are REALLY hard. The last level, once you've worked out what to do, gets a little easier but it's obvious as to why the game makers put the level at the end.

The radios

Around the levels you will find radios, all of which play the same song. These are linked to achievements within the game. Personally, I destroyed the radios in any way I could because I found them a little irritating XD



Companion cube

A symbol of Portal, the companion cube is a weighted cube with hearts on it. GLaDOS does tell you it can't talk, which it genuinely cannot, but I know someone who played with the sound off and was worried that it was making noises.

Still alive

At the end of the game is the song "Still Alive" by Jonathan Coulton. I have been taunted continuously with this song by friends who finished the game before I did, so once I heard it on the game I felt VERY happy.

Chell

The character you play as is called Chell. Although you play in first-person mode, you can occasionally see what Chell looks like through the portals.



Caution

Although this game is brilliant, it WILL cause you to become enraged, no matter how good you are at video games. Therefore I advise you don't play this game to relax, unless you're a masochist.

That's all I have to say about Portal, it's a good game and you should play it if you haven't already.

Now for Portal 2.

MmRed.

No comments: