Pages

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Why I can no longer play The Sims.

Once upon a time, there was a young child who was watching her dad's girlfriend play a strange game whilst also watching a history documentary. Entranced, that young child asked to play on the game.

It was a life simulation game, The Sims. It whisked the young girl off to a world she and she alone could control. If she really wanted to, she could kill the people in her game as easily as flies- but she chose to nurture them; she chose to send them to University, get them pets, allow them to have children and, when those children grew up, she did the same. But now that girl has grown up, and she can't play the Sims 3.

An expansion too far.


Yes, I am that girl. In case you hadn't guessed.

I love Maxis and their series, but some of the soul went out of the Sims series. I think I realized this the day that EA decided to make a Katy Perry expansion pack for the Sims 3. Now, I understand that celebrities mean money, but I don't think this was necessarily the perfect route for Maxis and EA.

I love screwing around and making people do stupid things for the sheer Hell of it, but I could never get into the Sims 3 in the same way I got into its predecessors. I think the Sims 2 is still the best of the series so far, because there was a mini game you could play through the installation of what was, and still is, a MASSIVE game. After the game had installed, there were so many new things to play with- and it looked prettier too! But all the Sims 3 added was making buildings diagonal and some good graphics. Now, I love making castles as much as the next person, but I still feel things such as limiting plot sizes by area were bad ideas.

My thoughts on the Sims 4.

I really want this game to be good. I do. But I think it needs a little bit of soul injected back into it, otherwise it'll be yet another series nobody wants to touch with a barge pole. And please EA, for all us Sims fans, don't do the same thing you did with Sim City- online play as an option is nice, but it should never be a requirement. Even Steam doesn't require you to go online all of the time, so there's no excuse to do it with Origin.

MmRed

No comments: